Monday, April 13, 2009

The Greatest Man I Never Knew


My Grandpa died last week. I don't really know much about my grandpa. We were never really close. Not because I didn't want to be, or because something happened, we just... weren't. What I do know about my grandpa is that he married one of the most amazing people who ever lived. My Grandma was as close to perfect as it gets. Another thing I know about my grandpa is that he liked pork rinds. Usually on Sundays we would visit my grandma. My grandpa spent pretty much the whole time sitting at the edge of his bed back in his room reading the newspaper eating pork rinds. Sometimes my sister Lindsay and I would get really daring and go into his room to say hello. He'd always offer us a snack and at the time we didn't know what pork rinds were, we were just happy to share something with Grandpa. The thing I will always remember the most about my grandpa is that no matter what, he always came out of his room at the end of a visit to give us a hug goodbye. He would hold us long and tight and say "I'm going to squeeze the juice outta ya!" I'm sad I don't know more about my grandpa but what I know for sure is that I'm grateful for the man he was and I know he was a great man because he raised a man like my father.
Today is my dad's birthday. It happens to be the same day my grandpa was buried. My dad dedicated his fathers grave on his own birthday. Everything my dad said about my grandpa is how I would describe my dad. I can't even put into words how I feel about my dad. I respect and love him more than he will ever know. He is kind, loving, generous, and everything in between.
I would like to thank my grandpa for giving me such a wonderful father to celebrate today.

1 comment:

  1. Update your blog!! I love those little kids of yours I want to see more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete